Climate Smart Agriculture - Advanced
Questo Corso è parte del
Introduzione al Corso
This course will provide a deeper insight about the application of Climate Smart Agriculture and will present advanced understanding of useful practices and techniques that can improve land management in view of biodiversity principles and climate change adaptation needs.
ScienzeOre di Formazione
OnlineStato del Corso
Agenda del Corso
- Understand the role and importance of precision farming
- Evaluate the relevance of water management
- Explain what a Decision Support System is and its advantages
- Understand the role and importance of biodiversity in farmland
- Evaluate the impact of agricultural practices on biodiversity
- Recognize the main agricultural practices that enhance biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Learn about protein crops and how they benefit the soil
- Discover what soil liming is and how to do soil sampling
- Distinguish the types of organic manure, why it can benefit the soil and how it can improve soil chemistry
- Identify the main types of cover crops, what they can be grown for and their benefits
- Understand the potential of conservation agriculture to adapt to new scenarios marked by climate change
- Raise awareness of the problems derived from the loss of organic matter and learn about agricultural practices that can help to improve it
- Understand the opportunity that perennial crops offer in climate change mitigation
- Be aware of the effects that agricultural sector generates in the climate, such as the effects that climate generates in the agricultural lands
- Know some specific agricultural footprint calculator in order to make right decisions in the agricultural sector
- Explain the different types of soil erosion and their effects on agriculture
- Describe various practices for managing soil erosion in agriculture
- Analyze the causes of soil erosion in different agricultural systems
Pre-requisitiStudents are recommended to attend the course “Climate Smart Agriculture for Beginners” of this Pathway.
Libri di testo e letture consigliate
Agrios, G. N. (2010). Introduction to plant pathology. Elsevier Academic Press Publication (In Persian).
Attrey, D. (2017). Food safety policies in agriculture and food security with traceability. Food Safety In The 21St Century, 449-454. doi: 10.1016/b978-0-12-801773-9.00036-4.
Barzman, M., Bàrberi, P., Birch, A. N. E., Boonekamp, P., Dachbrodt-Saaydeh, S., Graf, B., ... & Sattin, M. (2015). Eight principles of integrated pest management. Agronomy for sustainable development, 35(4), 1199-1215.
European Green Deal
European Tourism Legislation
Farm to Fork Strategy
Fujimori, S., Hasegawa, T., Krey, V. et al. A multi-model assessment of food security implications of climate change mitigation. Nat Sustain 2, 386–396 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-019-0286-2
Introduction and terminology GIS: https://spatialanalysisonline.com/HTML/index.html
Kuenzer, C., Dech, S., & Wagner, W. (2015). Remote sensing time series.
Leese, J. (1987). Remote sensing applications in the meteorology and operational hydrology programmes of WMO. Advances In Space Research, 7(3), 49-57. doi: 10.1016/0273-1177(87)90123-2
Principles of Remote Sensing An introductory textbook: https://webapps.itc.utwente.nl/librarywww/papers_2009/general/principlesremotesensing.pdf
Principles of Geographic Information Systems: https://webapps.itc.utwente.nl/librarywww/papers_2009/general/principlesgis.pdf
Schmidhuber, J., & Tubiello, F. (2007). Global food security under climate change. Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences, 104(50), 19703-19708. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0701976104
Smith, P., Calvin, K., Nkem, J., Campbell, D., Cherubini, F., & Grassi, G. et al. (2019). Which practices co‐deliver food security, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and combat land degradation and desertification?. Global Change Biology, 26(3), 1532-1575. doi: 10.1111/gcb.14878
Toma, I., Redman, M., Czekaj, M., Tyran, E., Grivins, M., & Sumane, S. (2021). Small-scale farming and food security – Policy perspectives from Central and Eastern Europe. Global Food Security, 29, 100504. doi: 10.1016/j.gfs.2021.100504
Waldhoff, G., Lussem, U., & Bareth, G. (2017). Multi-Data Approach for remote sensing-based regional crop rotation mapping: A case study for the Rur catchment, Germany. International Journal Of Applied Earth Observation And Geoinformation, 61, 55-69. doi: 10.1016/j.jag.2017.04.009
Wheeler, T., & von Braun, J. (2013). Climate Change Impacts on Global Food Security. Science, 341(6145), 508-513. doi: 10.1126/science.1239402