Elements of calculus and linear algebra
About the CourseWhen starting a new course of Mathematics, every student should feel confident with what he has been studying before. This course presents the basic tools of a first course of Mathematics: differential calculus for functions of one real variable, integral calculus, matrix algebra and its use for solving systems of linear equations. The course was initially planned for M.A. students needing to refresh their knowledge of basic Maths. More generally, it is aimed at those who want to get, in a quick and informal way the main techniques taught to first year students.
The course aims to equip students with a basic knowledge in the field of mathematical analysis and algebra of matrices. At the end of the course the student will be able to:
- calculate the derivative of a function;
- drawing the graph of a function;
- calculate the primitives of a function;
- determine the area enclosed by the graph of a function;
- calculate the sum and the product of two matrices;
- find the determinant and the rank of a matrix;
- solve a linear system.