Introduction to MATLAB: the MATrix LABoratory
Part of the
About the CourseThis course introduces the MATLAB programming language. Owned by MathWorks, MATLAB allows matrix calculation, the use of graphical interfaces for functions and data, the implementation of algorithms and the creation of interfaces. The course takes place in four Sections. The first section introduces the MATLAB environment and basic matrix language, along with basic operations of scalar, vector and matrix type. The second uses built-in functions, flow expressions (if, for, while) and defines how to create m.files (scripts and functions). In the following section the language for graphic tools is presented. Finally, the last section deals with econometric themes: simulation of stochastic processes and first analysis of economic time-series.
- to know the Matlab environment;
- to know the matrices and how to load them from external files;
- to be able to use scalar, vector and matrix operations;
- to know how to use expressions of flow: for, while, if;
- to create m.files: scripts and functions;
- to create planar and 3D plots;
- being able to simulate stochastic processes: AR, MA, ARMA;
- to know the fundamental aspects of the analysis of economic time-series.
Background and RequirementsMinimum knowledge of the operating system on which to install MATLAB; knowledge of the matrix calculation; knowledge of the English language in which to program.
- MATLAB Getting Started Guide: http://www.mathworks.com/academia/student_version/learnmatlab.pdf;
- MATLAB Language Reference Manual: https://ub.cbm.uam.es/publications/teaching/master_biofisica_2011_2012/MATLAB_REFBOOK.pdf;
- MATLAB Forum: https://it.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/.