Introducción al Curso
This course presents the basic mathematics topics, which are necessary in order to fruitfully follow the Mathematics and Mathematical Analysis courses which are common to all scientific Bachelor courses (e.g., Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Biological Sciences, Biotechnologies, …).
First, the basic algebraic operations on polynomials and the first notions of analytic geometry in the
plane are reviewed, including, among other things,
the equations of lines, parabolas, circumferences, ellipses, and hyperbolas.
The concept of function in the abstract is then introduced and the fundamental functions that are used in Mathematical Analysis are presented: in addition to polynomial functions, trigonometric, exponential and logarithmic functions are defined and illustrated.
Finally, the methodologies that allow solving equations and inequalities, both single and in systems, involving all the functions covered in the course are addressed.
Agenda del Curso
Apertura del Curso
Resultados de AprendizajeThe expected learning outcomes are:
- Mastering algebraic manipulations of polynomials.
- Understanding the concept of function; knowing the main examples of functions (polynomials, trigonometric, exponentials and logarithms) and their properties.
- Knowing and being able to represent the main elements of plane geometry: line, parabol, circle, ellipse and hyperbole.
- Solving equations and inequalities involving first and second degree polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponentials and logarithms.
Conocimiento RecomendadoThis course is directed at high school students who intend to enroll (or have already enrolled) in a science-based degree program. No prerequisites are required to take advantage of the course content.
Libros de texto y lecturas recomendadas
- Precalculus. J. Abramson. 12th Media Services, 2016
- Matematica Zero - Per i precorsi e i test d’ingresso a Ingegneria e Scienze. F. G. Alessio, C. de Fabritiis, C. Marcelli e P. Montecchiari. Pearson, 2016
Formato del CursoThis course is made by video lessons, where the teachers illustrate the theory, with the aid of many examples and simple exercises. The teachers also provide notes for every lesson (in pdf format) and several exercises, which can be used by the students to assess their level of understanding.
Reglas para la obtención de certificados y Exámenes
A certificate of attendance is issued after passing the final online test (multiple choice, true/false questions).