BIBLIOPATENTE: introduction to bibliographic research (2nd ed.)
About the CourseThis MOOC welcomes students to the world of libraries to tackle the issue of bibliographic research in today's fast changing online environment. What does it mean now for students to be able to orient themselves autonomously in a traditional or in a digital library? How do you use information literacy skills in a library? How can we cope with the variety of information sources and that of both digital and traditional devices? What tools can we use and how can we choose the ones suited to our needs? Are google-like simple search boxes and mobile apps always the best choice? How can you recognize both traditional and digital documents and cite them in a research paper? What is a citation style? How can you carry out a “speed reading” of a book or an article? Can you recognize a correct source processing from a suspicious patchwork of bits and pieces of somebody’s else ideas? And how can you face without risks the rules of academic integrity and deal with the ghost of plagiarism? We will try to answer all these questions and also offer causes for reflection to face the topic of online bibliographic research from a new perspective, different from the idea that “if it’s too inconvenient I’m not going after it” (Connaway et al., 2011), abandoning the existing preconceptions we often have regarding online research as multitasking digital citizens accustomed to information pollution.
Learning outcomesBy the end of the course, you will be able to:
- find your way around any library and talk to librarians using the same lexis
- choose among different bibliographic tools according to your search targets
- identify different types of bibliographic documents just from a quick glance at their bibliographic citation
- undertake a proper bibliographic search in modern opacs and gain detailed knowledge of our Sebina opac using all its potentialities, even as registered users
- search by subject even by using the advanced search box of your opac and Boolean logic
- optimise study time in your library reading room by using data organizing skills and speed reading techniques of books and academic articles
- keep plagiarism risks under control and acquire knowledge of basic academic integrity rules in using sources
Background and Requirements
È vivamente consigliabile aver precedentemente completato il Mooc INFOPATENTE o averne almeno verificato i contenuti e accertato di essere a conoscenza dei temi ivi trattati.