INFOPATENTE: introduction to information research
Part of the
About the CourseThis MOOC is the first part of INFODOCPASS , an online journey through the world of digital information to tackle the issue of web research through the perspective of the so-called information literacy. In our hyperconnected world what does it mean to recognize, respond to, critically evaluate and be aware of the information overload we are exposed to when surfing the net? What tools can we use and how can we choose the right ones according to our needs? How can we avoid the constant risk of fake information and the echo effect of personalized surfing and information filter bubbles? Is Google the public enemy of conscious research or rather should we simply get to know its potentials better? Which tools from social web can be used by students to cope with distraction and data pollution? We will try to answer to all these questions and also offer causes for reflection to face the topic of online research from a new point of view, different from the idea that “if it’s too inconvenient I’m not going after it”, abandoning the existing preconceptions we often have regarding online research as multitasking digital citizens addicted to information pollution
Learning outcomesBy the end of this course you will be able to…
- apply a uniform and critical research approach to meet your specific information needs
- critically evaluate web resources stepping out from the confort zone built by social networks and google
- identify target and features of both news and documents search tools and be able to understand when and how to use them
- become aware of all the web X.0 features and possibilities and use new cloud tools to better organize data and keep them synchronized on different devices face Google accepting its undeniable superpowers as well as weaknesses and dangers
- use Google to start a correct bibliographic search using its specialized versions: Google Books and Google Scholar
- identify online and offline library documents and be able to talk with your librarian using the same vocabulary
Background and RequirementsThe attendants to this course should not have previous specific skills but a basic knowing of web surfing and computer skills. This pathway is intended for University of Parma (or other Universities) first year undergraduates as well as for italian High School students who plan to enrol at the University. It may also be of interest to older University students if they lack notions on the topics covered during the modules. At the same time this mooc could be of interest to anyone wishing to better use a library and acquire a basic understanding of topics related to bibliographic research and, of course, to librarians and teachers.
The course is based exclusively on original teaching materials made accessible to the learners via the course iself or highlighted in bibliographies at the end of each unit. There’s no need to buy textbooks.